Food Scraps Separation
In 2023, food-generating businesses with on-site food preparation or service will be required to separate food scraps from other waste. This regional effort keeps food out of the landfill and is used to create compost or renewable energy.
1. Set up compost service with your hauler. The hauler will provide the external roll cart or dumpster that will be serviced weekly.
- Twelve-Mile Disposal Services 503-661-0255
2. Order free internal food scrap containers, signs and training.
3. Start separating your food scraps for collection.
The business food scraps requirement is subject to penalty in 2023. Preparing in advance will help you save money and comply with new waste reduction rules.
March 31, 2023
September 30, 2023
September 30, 2024
Customer food scraps
This does not apply to public or customer-facing areas of your business. Food prep waste and plate scraping handled by employees go in the provided compost bin.
Food-generating businesses are required to comply with the food scrap requirement. In 2023, businesses that do not comply will be subject to enforcement action.
- A covered business that does not comply with the business food waste requirement may receive a written notice of noncompliance. The notice of noncompliance will describe the violation, provide the covered business an opportunity to cure the violation within the time specified in the notice, and offer assistance with compliance.
- A covered business that does not cure a violation within the time specified in the notice of noncompliance may receive a written citation. The citation will provide an additional opportunity to cure the violation within the time specified in the citation and will notify the covered business that it may be subject to a fine.
- A covered business that does not cure a violation within the time specified in the citation may be subject to a fine per FMC 1.01.090.