Like many smaller cities, the City of Fairview contracts with the private law firm of Beery, Elsner and Hammond (BEH) for legal services. As City Attorney, BEH strives to provide high quality, cost-effective legal advice, and representation to the City, its City Council, and its administration. By City Charter, the City Attorney is selected and appointed by the Fairview City Council.
BEH manages all legal relations for the City, a municipal corporation. The staff attorneys and support personnel provide the following services:
- Advise on the policy implications of various City actions upon request
- Give legal advice as necessary to the City, its City Council, official boards, and commissions and all City departments
- Prepare or have final approval over all ordinances (including franchises), resolutions, and other documents of City Council decisions
- Prepare or review and approve all City contracts and other legally binding documents to which the City is party
- Represent and defend the City and its officers, employees, boards, commissions, and committees for their official acts in litigation not covered by insurance, in land use, worker's compensation claims, and other matters